Friday, October 8, 2010

First, a letter to my nephew

Henry,

Well bud, you have really caught me off guard.  Here I was planning your sleepovers at our house.  Thinking about what kind of a guy you'll be like when you grow up.  Planning on how I can get you to dress in all pink and purple just to really make your dad mad.  But wait.  We've got to get this heart of yours working right first. 

And that hit us all hard.  Oh, the excitement there has been about you coming into this world!  First grandchild on both sides...that is a coveted spot, little guy!  The spoiling you can get away with when you hold that title.  When that call came that the time for you to come was close...the world stopped for the Hermon & Hanson families.  How much would you weigh?  How tall would you be?  What was your name?  And then you were here!  Hooray!  But then the news came.  Something wasn't right.  But how un-right was it?  As it turns out, pretty un-right.  Thank God there are doctors and nurses that are trained to take care of hearts just like yours and babies just like you.  And mostly, thank God that there is a God that looks out for you. 

I don't think you could ever know the hours of sleep that have been lost or the buckets of tears that have been shed over concern for you.  Or the number of prayers God has heard on your behalf.  This is to say: you are loved Henry David!  By so many people. 

Speaking of prayers, here is an example of what my last 48 hours have looked like.  I pray.  I pray that you don't need surgery.  I pray that you go through life as a proof that miracles do happen.  I pray that if you do need surgery, that you need a lot less than they are predicting. I pray the surgery goes flawlessly.  I pray that your doctors let their hands and minds be an instrument for God's work.  I pray that you are able to run marathons.  I pray that if you aren't you won't care...'cause you're talented at cooler things than running.  I pray that you are quick to smile, have a great sense of humor, and a contagious laugh.  I pray for your mom and dad.  I pray they are able to be strong through this. I pray they are able to cry and break down when they need to.  I pray they have faith that God has a plan for you and for them too.  I pray they are able to handle everything that is coming.  I pray they will ask for help when they can't.   I pray they take time for themselves.  I pray they sleep at night.  I pray they let me be your first babysitter :)  I pray we know how to be there for you & your parents in the way you need us to.  I pray we know when to smother you guys with attention and when to give you space. 
Why do I do all this praying?  Because in the wise words of MC Hammer...you got to pray just to make it today.  What's that?  "You're really old and pretty lame Aunt Kelli"??  You're right, I am. 

But you remember this Mr. Henry: this lame aunt of yours really loves you.  More than can be said.

Love,
Aunt Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment